Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Count Your Blessings!

Every time that I return for a trip I cannot tell you how many times I get questions about how the trip was, what my favorite part was, etc. etc. etc. Now don't get me wrong, I love answering the questions and talking about all that I have done. This trip has been quite different from all the rest that I have been so fortunate to go on, such as Jamaica, the Bristish Isles, Honduras, Spain and Italy to name a few. Most of those trips have consisted of sight-seeing and hanging out with friends, except for Honduras, of course, which was by far one of my favorite and most rewarding trips to this day. However, my experience in Thailand has been quite a unique one, that will probably never compare to any other trips I plan to take throughout the course of my life. When i went to Spain, our goal was immersion to help learn the language. Because, I was left on the side of the road (typical) and my family didn't pick me up that first day I was put in a hostile with people from all over the world. I was exactly immersed into the Spanish culture, but i also had a very unique experience living with people from everywhere from Brazil to Holland. When i was preparing for this trip my goal in order to do my study was, once again, immersion into the Thai culture. Little did I know what i had in store for me. Throughout this month I have been immersed into the what many I have spoken with call the 'low end' part of Bangkok. Lesson learned: Count your blessings!! Day in, and day out we pass beggars, such as this picture, on the side of the road. I, honestly, believe that the vendors aren't making much more of a living than the beggars due to the mass amounts of product they are selling. I was reading an article in the Bangkok Post yesterday that a goal of the new year is to help make "Bangkokonoians" healthy by regulating the food that is sold on the streets and in the markets. In class today, I was told that the average income of workers in the city is 200 Baht a DAY! That is roughly $6!!! Our minimum wage is more than $6 an hour. By way of where I am living, each day, I am learning more and more to respect the efforts of the red shirts. The people who probably make less than the average 200 Baht. Even though I wish they would have chosen a different time to fight for their word to be heard, I cannot blame them. If i would have been on the nice beaches and the nicer areas of the capital city, I know that I would not feel this way, because I wouldn't have had the first-hand experiences to guide my thoughts. So if i could sum up my trip so far in one word, I would have to say: Humbling.

Today, is another very special day. Happy Birthday to one blessing I thank the Lord for everyday I wake up! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MAMA!! The older I get the more I hear, as well as can tell in myself, that I am turning more into my Mama. There could not be a bigger compliment in my eyes. You are the rock to so many both family and friends. I hope and pray that one day, I will have as much wisdom and experience as you do. I know it is not easy dealing with your highly emotional daughter, but I thank you for it! I don't know what I would do if I did not have you to pick up the phone and call as I go through each day in my emotional whirlwinds. Even though you may be enjoying the break of my constant phone calls throughout the day, not being able to pick up the phone and call you is DRVING ME NUTS!!!!! Just a few more days, Mama, and you will once again be able to rest a little better knowing that I am home. I know you and I know you have not quit worrying since the second I said good-bye on the plane in Atlanta. I hope you have a WONDERFUL day and I thank you for all that you do! I love you to the heavens and back!!! See you soon :)

1 comment:

  1. P,

    What a moving post! I forget how fortunate I am and how much I focus on nonsense. Thank you for sharing this much needed reality check.

    Love you sister
    Paige

    PS
    Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete