Wednesday, March 24, 2010

French Fried...

Yesterday after class I got a taxi to the Hotel Grand President on Sukhumvit Soi across town. I decided that I wanted a little change of scenery on my day off. From what I gathered, Sukhumvit is in a very nice part of Bangkok. The Prime Minister lives on this road, and the streets were also crawling with tourists and backpackers, young and old, from all over. Just wandering around the streets I heard many different languages. I checked in yesterday afternoon and went straight for a dip in the pool to try and kick the heat. After I relaxed for a little while, I went back to the room showered and got dressed for dinner. For dinner I decided to go to an Italian restaurant named Contrazi next door to the hotel. The atmosphere and food were UNBELIEVABLE. I felt like I should have been on a movie as all the beautiful couples drank their wine and enjoyed their evenings laughing and eating. The weather was perfect with a slight breeze and the Cabernet was delicious. The traditional Thai/Asian music created a calming silence between the laughs. I was really missing a certain someone as I enjoyed the ambience! For dinner, I got hand-made Gnocchi with pan-seared sea scallops in a mushroom cream sauce. I could have eaten 2 plates of it. Of course, I had to top it off with desert. I got the creme brulee trio, which was raspberry, orange, and kahlua. By the time I was done I was stuffed, so then I headed back upstairs and slept like a baby. I woke up this morning and went straight to the pool which was on the roof of the hotel. Hence, the title "French Fried." After a long day in the sun, I packed up, had my very first Aussie chicken and mushroom pie at an Australian pub across the way, and headed back to the JL. Even though it was very relaxing and felt wonderful swimming and getting that first kiss of sun for the summer, I will now be lathering myself with the Aloe lotion that I brought, probably for the rest of the trip. All-in-all, GREAT day off! Lesson Learned: SPF 15 (even applied a few times) has nothing on a rooftop pool in the hot Bangkok sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment