Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Reds Did Rally

Yesterday consisted of a bunch of horns, loudspeakers, screaming, singing, and red shirts. Around noon the caravan made it to Ramkhamhaeng and I know that I still heard rallying outside of the JL around 7 last night. Very persistent I must say! I honestly am not sure where they get the energy, especially, considering they have been out in the hot sun for a week now! When we began to hear the yelling we were still in the middle of a lesson but right as we were released for a break, I ran up to the top floor to see if I could see anything. Well the smoking deck on the roof had walls about seven feet tall but there was a covering about half way up that i managed to get up on top of. So, 9 stories high, on top of the roof I managed to get some pictures thinking I would miss the rest of the rally while sitting in class. To my surprise, when we got out of class around 4 they were still going strong, which made our walk home quite eventful. I was more scared standing on top of the roof than I was amidst the rally. I did not feel one threat from the protestors in the rally. Honestly, I felt like I was at a parade. There were motorcycles and trucks full of people of all ages smiling, clapping, chanting and singing. I wish I could have taken more pictures but there was hardly enough room to breath in the "o-so-pleasant" vendor foods and bus fumes, much less room for me to set up to get some pictures. The worst part of the rally was the very persistent people handing out flyers on the side of the road. Most of them were not in red so I think they were just soliciting for local "businesses" on Ramkhamhaeng. One of them followed me for a block, waving the flyer in my face, saying something in Thai. I'm not sure if he didn't catch on to the fact that I am not a native to SE Asia because the flyer was written in Thai and a lot of good that would have done me. The majority of the reds, both standing on the roads and riding in the rally/parade, seemed like very peaceful people just wanting to be heard. We were talking about it in class today, and one of the students said the majority of the protestors are coming from Northern Thailand which, according to the student, is where you will meet some of the most genuine people of the country. I did read that there were hand grenades launched and people were injured, but the number of injuries and actions of violence is still very small. I am learning more about the politics each day and it seems that if the protestors and leaders would leave Thaksin Shinawatra and his corrupt morals out of it they would get more accomplished. They feel that the new Prime Minister was not elected democratically and all they want to do is be heard, by way of a democratic election. Who can blame them for that? Lesson learned: Be thankful you live in a "democratic" society.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really loving the way you paint the happenings there. Being a Commn. masters could explain that but still your blog makes an informative & good read.
    This whole demonstration drama could be the blessing in disguise for you. You are learning so many new and interesting things & "Lessons" (as it seems:)) just looking down the streets that otherwise would be impossible on 'those' tree houses.
    Absorb and keep posting :).
    Be careful.

    ~Satpal

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of those things that rattle in my mind as we approach the 40th anniversary of the murders of students at Jackson State and Kent State in april of 1970 is the effect of a government turning violently against it own future. I understand your discomfort but it will so be over.Those people on the street will be there when you are gone. Pray that it remains peaceful. love,dlw

    ReplyDelete