Sunday, March 7, 2010

Preparing for the Princess

If those flowers are anywhere as hot and dehydrated as I am then he is going to be standing there for a while. I mean, growing up in the heat basin, also known as the Delta, that I did, I felt like I would have been pretty well prepared for the heat. I'm guessing the snow the day before I left Birmingham didn't make for much of a smooth transition between the winter we have had into Thailand's brink of the hottest month of the year. I'm guessing the shoulder-to-shoulder traffic on the sidewalks in between all the vendors frying up the latest catch doesn't help either. However, the morning walks to school are fairly pleasant. Anyways, back to the Princess... RU (the university) has been preparing for their Graduation. Their graduation is not our typical 4 hour long ceremony listening to speakers and walking across the stage. Family and friends come for a week long celebration. Students have been walking around in their gowns, no caps, all day every day. Talk about some heat under those black things. I have been dodging the street vendors selling very interesting bouquets of flowers and different trinkets for the families to shower their graduates in, and the constant flashes of group shots in front of the various "Congratulations" backdrops (like the ones we threw together for each Jr. High and High School dance) made across campus for the past couple of days. This year, however, security is heightened and extra care of the campus is being taken to prepare for the Princess, who will be on campus on Monday. There is very limited access but I have been trying to figure out how I could make my way on campus. Since our classes are canceled, and I have no loved ones graduating I haven't had very much luck. They take royalty very serious around here, so I'm probably not going to push it because they will throw you in jail in a split second. So, at least, this opens up a week for me to see the many sights of Bangkok! This should also make for some more interesting blog posts... (If i can charge my computer) Something just popped and the converter started smoking so I better put it up for now :/ I'm hitting the sack because I was once again up at 5 but I hope everyone at home has a wonderful Sunday! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment