Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sanuk

Earlier today I was talking to my Mama on Google video chat and she asked me what I have learned. Of course, on the spot, I didn't have much to say. But then I started thinking about the many things I have already learned from the Thai people and how much more I can absorb in the few short days that I have left in "The Land of Smiles." Thailand is a country full of many values and ideals that can be learned and, quite frankly, need to be absorbed by most people around the world. For a country with so little comparatively to the rest of the world, I am amazed and humbled by the way most people in the country live from day to day. Over the next week and three days, I will try to incorporate some of the values that the Thai people typically operate around into the Blog. I hope to bring back these lessons to the States and remember them each day as I get caught up in the world as we know it. Todays lesson is the value of having fun and finding pleasure in life. In the Thai language the word is SANUK, which means to have fun and enjoy oneself. The picture today is of a guy who I pass on my walk home from school each day. No shoes on his feet and just a few coins in a plastic sack on the ground, he sings and dances around having fun every day! I don't believe there is a single one of us who would enjoy this daily if it was our way of making a very, very small living. But I know that he is having fun and enjoying himself. You can tell by the way he is singing and the way he dances around. Each day, I wish I had more to give. Now I know what most of you are thinking... That child has never had a problem having fun :) Now sitting down and writing these monstrous papers (which is in my near future) has never really been what I consider "fun." But why can't it be? I will now attempt to look at it as "Fun in Learning." Learning new things, that, in the least, can help me to sound super intelligent when I am sitting down to dinner, or talking with people in classes or even out on the town. It's always fun to sound smart! I also know that at home it is sometimes hard to find any fun in our daily responsibilities, so today, I challenge everyone to find a little sanuk in what are typically considered our daily mind-numbing, hum-drum, unexciting tasks. So Mama, Lesson learned: Have fun and find pleasure in ALL that you do! Love you!

4 comments:

  1. I always have fun when I'm with you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey you like you are learning alot from the thai people, now that mother has video chat and can see you, i have suggested we leave you there a couple of months extra , hey this note has been the sanuk of my day love,dlw

    ReplyDelete